[Northkeep] changeling revel cancelled due to zero response

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner burgborrendohl at valornet.com
Thu Nov 11 05:44:58 PST 2010

Back when the earth was new, before the Great Barony of Northkeep, in
the time of the Shire, we would hold revels at Gwen and Richard's house
in what was then the outskirts of Broken Arrow.  The idea was
introduced to Northkeep from the Barony of Three Rivers by my Lord
Husband.  The revel was called Changeling and it was a themed costume
party where you would dress as either a mythical creature (fairy, goblin
etc.) or as your personna's 'opposite' (ex. some Vikings came as Saxon
damsels).  Another option was to do a parody of someone you admired.  I
imitated Gwen once.  I had originally shown up with a rather skimpy
fairy costume which had everyone surprised (my then conservative nature)
but later changed into a long wig, glasses and with a cigarette and
large a Quick Trip mug  in hand (things Momma Gwen always had with her
at the time) I became Gwen.  I was especially thrilled when Gwen's
daughter came up to me and called me "Mom" by mistake.  When she
realized I wasn't her mother she became somewhat upset demanding to know
who I was.  After all, Ismet had come as a fairy so she wasn't thinking
of me.  Otherwise she might have recognized me sooner.

We still have a lot of photos from the revels and many would make great
black mail. :-)

I'm thrilled Arthur wants to try to start up the tradition again.  But
he's right, for it to be a true success people need time to come up with
clever costumes.

Ismet