[Northkeep] amusing from Calon list

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner burgborrendohl at valornet.com
Fri Oct 8 10:02:41 PDT 2010

  Ok, it started out as kind of a serious discussion...but then as in
many things in the SCA it took a sharp turn:

First message:

"In many respects the Vikings were the medieval equivalent of organized
crime," says Simon Keynes, a professor of Anglo-Saxon history at
Cambridge University. "They engaged in extortion on a massive scale,
using the threat of violence to extract vast quantities of silver from
England and some other vulnerable western European states." "Certainly
the Vikings did all these things, but so did everyone else," says
Dagfinn Skre, a professor of archaeology at the University of Oslo.
"Although admittedly, the Vikings did it on a grander scale." Martin
Carver, an emeritus professor of archaeology at the University of York,
characterizes the antagonism between the Anglo-Saxons and the
Scandinavians as part of a wider clash of ideologies. Between the sixth
and ninth centuries, Vikings in Scandinavia preferred to be organized
"in loose confederations, favoring enterprise," says Carver. But other
parts of Europe, such as Britain, yearned for a more orderly,
centralized government---and looked to the Roman Empire as a model. ...
According to the /Anglo-Saxon Chronicle/, Aethelred was "informed" that
Danish mercenaries intended to "beguile him out of his life." (It is
unknown whether an informer learned of an actual plot, or if Aethelred
and his council fabricated the threat.) Aethelred then set in motion one
of the most heinous acts of mass murder in English history, committed on
St. Brice's Day, November 13, 1002. As he himself recounted in a charter
written two years later, "a decree was sent out by me, with the counsel
of my leading men and magnates, to the effect that all the Danes who had
sprung up in this island, sprouting like cockle [weeds] amongst the
wheat, were to be destroyed by a most just extermination." Read more:
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/A-Viking-Mystery.html?c=y&page=2#ixzz11WH87PUL
<http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/A-Viking-Mystery.html?c=y&page=2#ixzz11WH87PUL>

(I assume the subject of 'gorse' refers to the cockel [weeds])

Followed by the following commentary: