[Northkeep] A regional meeting at Mooneschadowe

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 14 22:04:53 PDT 2010

> From: talana1 at hotmail.com
> Old names for Oklahoma include:

 Well, they almost named the eastern part of Oklahoma the state of Sequoyah.  Prior to it being Indian Territory it really didn't have a "name" as far as I can tell.  The French left their mark on the names of rivers mostly.  The tribal areas are where we get the names of some of the geographical features.  Both Coronado and De Soto were in the area (although there is debate whether De Soto made it out of western Arkansas).  As mentioned, Coronado was looking for Quivira.  I like the name myself, but it was most likely in southern Kansas, or possibly Missouri -- however, early maps of the region do label the area from eastern New Mexico/South Eastern Colorado, through the Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma, and Kansas as Quivira.

De Soto of course was looking for the Fountain of Youth

After the  tribal lands in the western part of the state were opened, the term "Twin Territories" was often used before statehood.

M/D