[Northkeep] Populace

Jerry Herring j.t.herring at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 27 07:24:58 PDT 2010

Chemin Noir...is the little group that could.
Their Fall of the Dragon event was very small and sparsely attended this year
but still grand none the less. Those who did not attend missed one of the most
beautiful halls that I have seen at a camp site like this as well as great
displays of skill and prowess, as well as acts of outstanding chivalry and
honor...not to mention centurions jousting with spears and bucklers complete
with clip clop of coconut shell horses and rapier duels that left Don's wet
behind the ears. The feast was simply amazing, one of HE Kelandra's best and to
each groaning table came skilled and talented bards to entertain the many
satisfied revelers. Later all joined Their Excellencies Keigan and Facon as they
showed and the pagentry and noblity of Ansteorra's court with great sentiment
where many good folk were recognized with worthy admonishments. The night air
was a brisk fall evening filled with good company and the laughter of friends. I
being to work down from all the day had to offer did not in my customary fashion
stay up till the wee hours but I hear that the revelry that lasted into the
night was worthy of any Northern Ansteorran.

Chemin Noir has such an amazing group of long time players there who hold in
their hearts the very essence of service and honor and by their deeds they earn
respect and glory for their canton. They did no less at this years fair and I am
sorry that so many missed it. However this year the stalwart citizens of Chemin
Noir were joined by a group of enthusiastic and hard working new faces...and t
would be bad form not to recognize the efforts of those new to the Canton.

There was first and foremost the fair Lady Volislava their Seneschal an icon of
effervescence and enthusiasm, The steady Lorn who like the great oak offers
strength and protection to all who shelter with him, Ker the mighty who's
strength knew no limits when it came to bearing many burdens, There was Percival
the very brown who though a quiet soul shown with an inner light that was easy
for all to see, The youthful Egon whose smile spread from ear to ear no matter
how grim the task set before him his enthusiasm like some contagion spreading to
any who shared in his work , and there was Ulliana or Haldora (what ever name it
is she settles on) who though small and fair gracefully inspired her companions
by joining in and sharing any labor and more than once was seen gathering wild
flowers in the meadow, then came Pandallia who moved about the event as through
it were his natural element as good and true a lad as could be found..It was
Panda whom I witnessed not only taking on every task set before him and every
new challenge with a firm set to his jaw and a fire in his eyes at this his
first event but he also cooked for all those who stayed at the lodge with he and
his friends.

I can not speak for everyone but is was a great honor to be present at this Fall
of the Dragon and witness the how the little Canton of Chemin Noir has grown and
how those good and noble people with hearts as big as all of Ansteorra have
finally found some kindred souls who with the true heart of a lion have boldly
stepped into the SCA and now seek their own interpretation of this dream we all
share.

Well done Chemin Noir, well done. Long may your happy little home stand as a
bastion of hospitality along that lonely black road that stretches north from
the lands of  Ansteorra into the plains of Calontir.
Most Kindly
Ian