[Northkeep] Just a point on names

Kevinkeary kevinkeary at aol.com
Wed Sep 29 11:38:44 PDT 2010

Polaris has several other names. Many of them are already in use in the SCA, and will have to be avoided.
Alpha Ursa Minoris, Dhruva Tara, Lodestar, Pole Star, Alruccabah, Cynosura, Dhruv, Phoenice, Tramontana, Angel Stern, Navigatoria, Star of Arcady, Yilduz, Mismar, Gwiazda Polarna, Polyarnaya, Midnight Star.

Cynosura's Latin origin relates to a dog's tail (It's the tip of the tail of the Small Bear) but as the word has come into English, cynosure means a thing to which all attention is drawn, or that serves as a guide.

Lodestar also carries the connotation of a leader, or something that shows the way. Navigatoria obviously does the same.

I believe there are names that imply the star is the hub of the wheel of heaven, around which all the other stars turn, but I haven't found that for sure.

Someone a short time ago suggested finding a name based on "Storm Moon", and I think it's worth pointing out that "Moon" is a name fragment of importance to those of us from what was once the Western Region, and to those of us from Mooneschadowe, and that "Storm" is a name fragment of importance to both Namron (our oldest barony) and to Northkeep (our youngest and largest barony), which was once called Nordliche Sturm, the Northern Storm. It's not a bad name, carrying connections from one end of the region to the other.

Kevin