[Northkeep] Just a point on names--question

Robert Fitzmorgan fitzmorgan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 17:07:34 PDT 2010

Alliteration is indeed a very valid and useful tool in poetry, it was most
commonly used in period in the Saxon and Norse traditions.  The Celtic bards
also did some odd things with alliteration, but by and large those tricks
are difficult to pull off in English.  Sort of like completing a rhyming,
alliterating, crossword puzzle.

The romance languages largely focused on rhyming.  English is an odd case as
our tradition of rhyming metric-feet is a bit of a blend between the Middle
English and the French traditions.

Since Quivara is Spanish the Romance tradition would seem to be the more
appropriate, though we are not limited to that of course.  With Quivara we
would pretty much be in the same position we are now in with Ansteorra.

If you are curious about writing alliterative poetry in English, there is an
excellent resource online.

Forgotten Ground Regained <http://alliteration.net/index.htm>

Click on editors notes on the menu for a guide to writing using alliterative
verse.

Robert Fitzmorgan