[Northkeep] Castle Under Seige

Kathryn Helstrom kiamichikate at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 12:07:35 PDT 2011

Sorry I missed FP and Dervillia's research team, but my castle has been
beseiged by carpenters and masons.  The whole south end, which includes the
entire larder, buttery, and dining portion of the great hall, is currently
being rebuilt.  During the day, while I am instructing the manor's children
at the Bartlett house, the construction is proceeding at an intermittent
pace, under the watchful eye of my lord husband.  As soon as the children
depart for their own families' hearths, I have to rush into the village to
visit with the blacksmith, weaver, and other artisans to acquire needed
materials and acoutrements to restore my castle.  I have exceeded my
husband's wishes in this, and he will be wroth with me when he receives the
bills for their craftsmanship.

In the evenings, I return to dust and debris scattered from one end of the
castle to the other.  The workers have even taken to washing their tools in
my private garderobe!  (Husband does not understand what is wrong with
that.)  The daily cleaning, which if not done, will soon result in knee-deep
sawdust and choked up equipment.  So, I am working well past the lighting of
the lamps to keep my home in some semblance of order.

Lady Dervillia, you must certainly sympathize with me as you have been
completely rebuilding your castle, not just one wing.   How do you fare
under these conditions?  My heart goes out to you!

I have carefully wrapped the gowns that were loaned to my young
lady-in-waiting for the Faire a fortnight ago.  I promise to return them as
soon as I can relinquish my responsibilities at home.  If you need them
sooner, please let me know off-list and I will make arrangements to have
them delivered to you forthwith. Please let me publicly express my sincere
gratitude for your generosity!

Franziska von Locknitz

--
Remember this: that there is a proper dignity and proportion to be observed
in the performance of every act of life.  --Marcus Aurelius