[Northkeep] PSA: Road Conditions 0630

Niewoehner, Hugh Hugh.Niewoehner at flightsafety.com
Tue Feb 1 04:52:40 PST 2011

As of 0630 71st street had one lane passable between Sheridan and 145th.   I only saw one non-SUV/Pickup/Mini--van on the road.

At 71st and Memorial someone turning left had gone wide and entered a drift but the Woodland Hills mall patrol was just finishing up extricating them.

Anywhere the wind can get to the street the snow is only a few inches deep at most.  Beware the ice layer underneath.

Look out for is drifts of up to 3'.  Between Sheridan and Memorial and again at 169 there are decorative raised beds in the median causing deep drifts in the East bound lanes.

KEEP YOUR SPACING.  With the windblown snow and snow being thrown up by other vehicles you will experience instantaneous whiteout conditions.

I was the first vehicle off of 145th into the industrial park past the hotels.  Snow was deep but in 1st gear my truck didn't have any significant trouble.  The FSI lot has numerous deep drifts.