[Northkeep] events

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 27 13:57:11 PST 2011

And I remember mentioning how I had recently gone to a Laurel's Prize Tourney, and been wowed by a model Roman bireme about four feet long with working oars, then double-wowed because it had been made by a person prominent mostly as a fighter.  There was a discussion about how peers, including fighting peers, once were expected to know a few dances and the courtly graces and how to play chess - in other words, participating in activities outside the list field, and possibly their comfort zone.  There was a general consensus encouraging artisans to try something martial (hence the archery and thrown weapons categories as well as rapier and rattan events) and the martial types to try their hand at making something would be a Good Thing (tm).  Someone worded it well that a Castellan should have a touch on a little bit of everything that goes on in a castle, not just defending it.

We knew it would be risky, but it worked.

Talana