[Northkeep] Fwd: shakespere- entertainment

Tina Michael tinabetta at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 10:50:37 PDT 2011

Saw this news article in the paper looks like something fun for us to do.
Read on....

Tina
 *The idea behind the Shake Down in T-Town Festival was to focus as much on
"T-Town" as it was to serve up some Shakespeare al fresco.*

The two-day event, Friday and Saturday, will include two performances of
Shakespeare's comedy "As You Like It," staged by the festival's artistic
director Jenny Guy. The show begins at 7:30 p.m. each evening at Tulsa's
Centennial Park, Sixth Street and Peoria Avenue.

The festival portion of the event will be from noon to 7 p.m. Saturday at
the park, featuring performances by musical acts, theater companies and
dance troupes, along with a number of booths selling craft items and other
such goods.

"Our goal was to offer as wide a variety of things as possible to showcase
what we have here in Tulsa," said Brigid Kimery Vance, the festival's
managing director. "We wanted there to be something for everyone."

That was one reason why, Guy said, she chose "As You Like It" for this
year's production, rather than one of the other comedies, tragedies or
histories that Shakespeare wrote.

"It's one of Shakespeare's most fun plays," she said. "It's one of the few
in which nobody dies - or even pretends to die. There's a lot of physical as
well as verbal comedy, with women pretending to be men, and men pretending
to be someone else."

The story - to put it in the simplest form - is about two brothers and a
pair of female cousins, all of whom for various reasons find themselves in
the Forest of Arden, where love ultimately conquers all except one
melancholy fellow who muses about how "all the world's a stage, and all the
men and women merely players."

"We figure that the people who love Shakespeare would be interested in what
we're doing," Vance said. "So we wanted the festival portion to be more
inclusive and family-friendly so that it might appeal to people who aren't
starting out as huge Shakespeare fans."

Festival performances will include companies presenting excerpts of the
shows that will be a part of the Tulsa PAC Trust's Summerstage, as well as
contemporary dance, improvisational comedy and traditional English folk
songs.

Vendors will include the Gleeful Peacock, Bifftastica, SomerKnits, Crystal's
Ball and Chain, Starflower Creations and Death of a Witch, which will have a
special Shakespeare-themed print available.

Jerry Weatherford will provide chair massages, and Trinity Episcopal and the
Pearl District Association will operate booths, as well.
 ------------------------------

*SCHEDULE* *FRIDAY*

*7:30 p.m. - *"As You Like It"
*SATURDAY*

*Noon - *Sarah & Russ Goss

*12:45 p.m. - *Actors Company of Tulsa with "Attack of the Space Pandas"

*1:30 p.m. - *Marilyn McCullough

*2:15 p.m. - *Belly Dancing Troupe

*3 p.m. - *Spontaniacs Improv

*4:00 p.m. - *Portico Dans Theatre

*4:25 p.m. - *IAMB

*5 p.m. - *LOOK Musical Theatre

*7:30 p.m. - *"As You Like It"

*Original Print Headline: Festival serves up Shakespeare in the great
outdoors*
 ------------------------------

*SHAKE DOWN IN T-TOWN FESTIVAL*

*When:* Performance of “As You Like It,” 7:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday.
Festival: Noon to 7 p.m. Saturday.

*Where:* Centennial Park, Sixth Street and Peoria Avenue.

*Admission:* Free.

By JAMES D. WATTS JR. World Scene
Writer<http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/authors.aspx?a=JAMES-D.-WATTS-JR.->

Tina Michael