[Northkeep] So, yah, da Northern Ansteorra name problem...

Peter Schorn peterschorn at pdq.net
Sun Mar 27 16:20:16 PDT 2011

...it makes me t'ink of dat time I spent in Michigan, where dey got dat
place over da Straits o' Mackinac called de Upper Peninsula, or da U.P.
Folks dat live dere, dey call 'em "Youpers."

Now yer typical Youper, he's darn proud to be from Michigan, but he does
t'ings a bit differ'nt from da folks down in "da Glove," an' he's darn proud
o' dat, too.

A Youper's a bit more rough-hewn, an' woodsy, an' he likes t'hunt an' fish
more dan most (you ever hear dat song "Second Week of Deer Camp?"  Yah,
dat's Youper music).  Also he don't t'ink nothin' of da cold and da snow an'
de ice 'cause he's lived so long wit 'em, dere kinda like family.  Or like
annoyin' in-laws dat come and stay a long time, but it's OK, dey go away
eventually.

So anyways what I'm sayin' is, Northern Ansteorran remind me a lot o'
Youpers, 'cause Oklahoma is kinda like da Upper Peninsula of Ansteorra,
separated as it is from da rest of da Kingdom by a stretch of water dat's
awful dangerous to cross (no, really, my third cousin he tried to cross da
Red River in winter, an' he tripped an' broke his neck).

An' maybe dat's where we should draw, y'know, our inspiration an' stuff like
dat.  From folks who're proud to be from one place, but who're also proud to
be from a part of a place dat's a little unusual.  Exceptional.  Distinct.

You know, dat sorta t'ing.

--Cadfan ("Say, didja hear about da fellow got a snowmobile for his wife?"
"No, but dat's a good trade if you can work dat.")