[Northkeep] More About Chickens

Kathryn Helstrom kiamichikate at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 21:25:37 PDT 2011

It was really interesting to find this article about Chicken Husbandry in
the Middle Ages, following our conversation about the fowl.

http://www.mnhn.fr/museum/front/medias/publication/23772_35_56_HD_N.pdf

For those who are not inclined to read a 22 page scholarly article about the
intricacies of raising poultry on a demense in England, let me summarize:

Before the Black Death swept through Britain in the 14th century, most
poultry was raised on the manor.  Chickens comprised about half of the avian
stock (the rest were geese, ducks, pigeons, etc.).  Most manors maintained
between 5 and 15 chickens, with some stocks as large as 100 chickens.
Records indicate that the average hen produced around 50 eggs per year, but
most scholars think this is a low number, even with the cold winters,
moulting season, and, of course, the breeding season.  After the plague
wiped out 40% of the human population, the chickens went to the
peasants, while geese, peacocks and other less egg-productive birds remained
with the noble and upper gentry.  Most likely a status thing.

Franziska

--
Remember this: that there is a proper dignity and proportion to be observed
in the performance of every act of life.  --Marcus Aurelius