[Northkeep] Chickens and Lent

Aline Swynbrook alineswynbrook at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 12:35:30 PST 2011

Ian wrote:

"According to a few tidbits from some quick searches of agricultural sites
chicken was an acceptable meat during lent in medieval times this is backed up
by archeological findings of cast off chicken bones from mature poultry at
historical farming sites. "

Ian, can you give a link to your source on this.  Everything I am read on period lenten practices definitely marked chicken as verbotten outside of the exceptions Talana listed (Sundays and high holy days) and for exceptions for health.  I would be interested to look at their research.

Aline