[Northkeep] solutions to Northkeep problems

Cisco Cividanes engtrktwo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 07:49:25 PDT 2011

Below is opinion, and if anyone is actually offended, please contact me
directly and say as much, the last thing I want to do is set off a fire
storm.

Directional and positional terms are almost always relative, unless you're
taking about real estate at the north pole. I have to wonder what Canadian's
say when they hear people from Maryland, New York, or Jew Jersey refer to
themselves as "northerners". We popularly refer to the Asian continent as
the "east" or the "far east", even though most international flights from
the US to Asia travel west to get there. The "midwest" of the US is actually
east of more than 45% of the country's population. The "middle east" is not
in the middle of any continent, and depending on what continent you are
standing on, it can be on one of several very different points of the
compass. North Carolina is considerably south of South Dakota, and their
weather patterns reflect their locations.

I'm sorry, but the idea that just because someone has land farther north
than us we should be precluded from calling ourselves "the north" or some
variation off of that theme, just does not hold water for me. Weather or not
we use the name, or idea of "north" in a regional name will likely be
decided after a long and tedious process that takes into account a great
many thoughts on the subject, but as an individual, I identify with the
title of "northern Ansteorran" relatively strongly.

Ivo Blackhawk