[Northkeep] Nasty smells (Was: Winterkingdom - a word from the autocrats)

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 4 12:57:29 PDT 2011

Actually, Your Excellency, I don't think Herself has ever objected to the smell of melting resin.
Melting resin has a nice piney fragrance overlaying the mild fragrance of turpentine off-gassing.
To be accurate, I believe it was the actual rendering of tallow in her rice pot that she was
unhappy about.

Rendering tallow can smell like a lit of different things.  If you are using fresh tallow, you
get a fatty/waxy smell (although if you are using the fat near the kidney, it can faintly smell
of ammonia).  If you are using cooked fat to make the tallow, the smell of rending baked
blood is highly noticeable (and objectionable to people raised around beef for some reason).

She has also expressed a distaste for the wholesome, earthy smell of cadaverine emitted
from cleaning aged adipocere from inside bovine femurs, but there's no accounting for
tastes.

M/D