[Northkeep] Geese, gardens, and dreams (was: Cooking quinces)

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 4 09:00:07 PDT 2011

Red cabbage and dumplings, if you want a good German or eastern French meal.

Goose has a reputation for being "greasy" but this is because the bird has a lot of fat under the skin.  Ditto for duck (mmm, smoked duck legs . . .).  If you don't prep it right, the fat doesn't render off during roasting, and the skin doesn't crisp, and it's totally meh.  If you slash or prick the skin so the fat runs off (you have to drain off the fat a few times during roasting) you get something really tasty that is not greasy, though the skin is a tad rich.  Save the fat for frying potatoes or doing some classical French cooking.  It will last if kept tightly covered in the fridge.

Talana