[Northkeep] Question about the Saga and a suggestion

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 21 06:45:34 PDT 2011

I have a question -- and I'm sorry, it's not really regarding any of the topics that have come up lately,
although it does branch off a suggestion made earlier this week.  It's kind of a philosophical question,
and isn't intended to tie anyone's knickers in a knot, although if anyone does get their knickers knotted
over it, please feel free to contact me offlist.

The question is, why don't more people write content for the Saga, or for that matter, the Webpage?
This is not a recent occurrence, it's been fairly chronic since the earliest days of the Shire (there's
a missive from about 1984, from the then Chronicler Roselynde d'Angleterre commenting on this same
thing.  Now I'm not saying that no one ever writes - there have been articles from all sorts of people
over the years.  I'm just saying that compared to other group's newletters, the Saga's a little anemic.
Why is this?

I know that in Northkeep, we frequently stick to our own things, but why can't we talk about those things
as well?  I know why *I* don't submit regularly - and to be honest, putting myself out there, seeing my
name in print when the only thing in there month after month is officer's reports makes me feel
inappropriately arrogant.

Now, I'm sure that there are a lot of people who don't generate content because:

a.  They are shy.
b.  They don't think they have anything worthwhile to say.
c.  They don't have time.
d.  They can't write.
e.  They don't see anyone else doing it, so it hasn't occurred to them that maybe they could.
f.  I just didn't think about it
g.   Filling out the $#%# paperwork is a drag.

I know all of these excuses, since I use (or have used) all of them regularly (and if you don't think I'm shy,
you really don't know me that well).

So here's my suggestion - I'll look at my excuses and try to make time to come up with stuff for the Saga
and the website in the next year.  I think it would be cool if other people did too, and not just the Names,
but if everyone in the Barony flooded the Chronicler and the Webminister, I think that would be really
cool.

Now, I am not the Chronicler, and no longer the Webminister, but I would like to see their jobs be more fulfilling.

Marc/Diarmaid