[Northkeep] Fighter practice

Jerry Herring j.t.herring at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 5 14:58:12 PDT 2011

There are fighters both Heavy and Rapier who I have seen leave with out helping
clean up, there are people who are there just to socialize do the same...but I
have also seen people from all those groups throw in and help clean.

To say that no gaming can occur is excluding an activity of people that I  know
do work cleaning and that does not seem fair. So to be fair would  you then
start telling fighters who do not help clean that they can not  fight? That
sounds like the wrong way to go about fixing this situation  in my opinion.

I am rarely see at fighter practices lately but as in the past when I am there I
make sure to do something.  I have swept and mopped, taken out the trash, and
scrubbed toilets, and  moved chairs...did I do all that on one night no, but I
did do what I  deemed was my fair share of the work and I don't remember anyone
ever  coming to me to complain about what I did do. It has always been my ideal
that many hands make light work so if everyone involved pitches in then no one
has to do the lions share...but lets get real for a minute this is a volunteer
organization you can't make people do the work if they don't want to. All you
can do is ask. More than once I have been left on a site way past closing time
doing the last bits that no one else would do, and I have seen others doing the
same. From time to time those who feel more responsible have to step-up to take
care of things where others don't. Those are the qualities that define a good
member of our society and in situations such as this it is just something that
has to happen for an organization of our kind to exist.

If people are there and use the hall and they should do something, anything, in
this volunteer organization that is really all we can expect of them. if you
want them to do more than they are try asking them to help in a specific aspect
of the cleaning. If they still don't help then you have done all you can. You
should be able to hope for more from people especially in a society that is
supposedly based on honor and chivalry but in my experience you will find
yourself disappointed a lot if you do that. For the sake of your sanity and the
higher ground it is often better not to belabor the failures but celebrate the
successes. So why not start taking note of who does what during clean up and
noticing those who go above and beyond and mentioning them in your saga report
and at populace meeting. That kind of positive reinforcement will usually
inspire others to attempt to replicate it and propagate a more positive outcome.

Just my thoughts on the subject take them for what ever value that you will.

Kindly
Ian