[Northkeep] Remembrance

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Thu Oct 6 00:52:07 PDT 2011

And we were also shown that we have not been teaching some pretty basic
SCAdian values to the newbies, nor reminding all the old-timers effectively.
Things like pulling your own weight, living up to obligations, something as
basic as cleaning up after yourself, leaving the space you use cleaner than
it  was when you got there. That's not the fault of the fighters, that's
the place  of the culture-imparters, the bards and storytellers. The teachers
of our ways  and our mores. Those who make the SCA more than just a fight
club with  clubs.

Dear Kevin
 As the only active storyteller in the area, who tries to impart knowledge in the old ways I will agree that the Bards and Storytellers are failing, but please remember before there were organized bards and contest it was the knights and  other peers who told the teaching tales and created the culture of Ansteorra virtues. They also promoted the bards and encouraged their assocates to listen to  tale that taught virtues. Long before there were attack bard there was all of us trying to made a community.
I believe in making Ansteorra real and basing it on the Knightly virtues. I believe that if each and everyone of us strive to follow those high values then the culture we know as "the Dream" will be real.
But for that to happen we need to recreate the historical matrix. The high virtues of "the Dream" flourish when we are more historical and the more and more mundane we become the less Our "Dream" values are followed and the more the mundane values are followed in our Barony.
I know I am always talking about this and I know I don't make sense.
Part of the problem is simply not knowing what is going on. Leadership in a free community needs someone to take the Then people need to know what needs to be done and then the second level of leadership kicks in and someone says I will do the bathroom would you and you like to help. This is done with an eye on including people who don't know the program so things new learn how to do it. the second level of leadership steps up to the job and then the third level of leadership sort of leads by pushing the people in front  of them. The people on point make sure that everything is covered and  gives out encouragement  and social reinforcement.
when I first came to Northkeep everyone was doing their jobs all around me and I seem to be getting in every-ones way. But many of those people are not at fighter practice now and I don't even know who to ask what is needed.
I don't what happened but I am just as much to be blamed as anyone else. I could of grab someone and done some work , but I could not figure out what to do. I am probably more to be blamed because I am a peer and a noble and should be leading by modeling.
Please don't ban the game players because most of them are attached to a fighter. I can see that you fighters know what needs to be done but us non-combatant are not in the loop and need a little guidance.
Willow