[Northkeep] Speaking of Memories.....

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 6 15:02:28 PDT 2011

Not at my first event but my first Queen's Champion, for Queen Jocelyn, in Bryn Gwlad:  There was a special prize offered for "panache", and some fighters were showing it through courtly bows and flourishes, some with schtick.  One gentleman, in a rapier-and-weapon-of-choice round, used a hand puppet on his off hand.  The puppet taunted the opponent, who eventually fell for the bait and began trying to take out the puppet instead of the swordsman.

But my favorite bout that day involved a gentleman named Alastair, a Welshman.  He was also a real a Welshman, who spoke with a beautiful accent and played a mean set of bagpipes.  Alastair was a good bit older than most of the contestants, but he gave as good as he got despite his gray beard.  When the marshals called "Lay on!"  he let out with a battle scream that totally rattled his opponent, then chased the guy around the list field a couple of times before settling down to business.

In servicio,

Talana