[Northkeep] How to get people to do tasks

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Fri Oct 7 13:03:47 PDT 2011

This is an article that I wrote many many years ago.
In viewing this problem and how to solve it we have to face up to the fact that there is always politics involved in getting people to do things. That is because politics is the method or methods by which people do things. Politics can be formal or informal

For the past five years people have taken it upon themselves to divy up the jobs and make sure things got  done. In this situation there has been no formal communication. The task had been laid out and people had chosen what they wanted to do and did it. The task continued to be done because each person made sure that someone else knew the job  and would take it over before they left the group.

This group  has been handling chores like this for over 25 years. So why is it falling apart?
First, many of the older people are retiring or dieing.

Second, many of the younger people don't understand groups. They have a fear of "politics" and will not do any thing that involves getting people to do things. The most they will do is stand up and talk about have a problem. They don't talk to people directly or explain to people what things need to get done.
In our case, the people who are doing the jobs that they normally do haven't a clue as to what else needs to be done.

Part of the problem is simply not knowing what is going on.
willow
 Leadership in a free community needs someone to take the point and clearly state what is the problem and what job need to be done.

When people know what is needed then the second level of leadership kicks in and someone says I will do the bathroom would you and you like to help. It is a good idea for the point person to have talked to the second level so they know to volunteer.

The second level of leadership should not do the job all by themselves. They should look around and find people who don't look like they are jumping up and ask them if they would like to help you. The person the second level should not be shy. Many people are willing to volunteer but will not if they do not know the job. Including people who haven't done the job and teaching them the job allows these people to feel secure to volunteer next.

The most common mistake leadership does is to do all the jobs themselves. In a volunteer group you need to be training everyone to do everyones' job because you don't know when someone will not show up.

After the second level states they will do a task and suggests to someone who is floating around they could help  the third level of leadership steps in. This level leads from behind. They catch someones eye and say something to the effect, "We will do it. Just show us how."

People today do not want to look stupid and they do not like to ask question. The third level will ask the question and make sure that the task is done. When i was a young girl in rural Alabama this was done by adult carrying on a non stop commentary on what they were doing. Most of time I spaced out these lessons, but I was surprised that in my old age I remembered how to milk a cow. This was including how not to be hit by the tail.

All three levels need to give each other and all the people working with you encouragement. Please remember, people join a volunteer group mostly for interaction and social reinforcement is the coin in which they are paid.

. The people on point, ,first level leadership should make sure that everything is covered and  gives
out encouragement  and social reinforcement.

It is important to point out people that you want modeled and it is important to praise the group as a whole. Modeling without spotlight is useless.
Duchess Willow de Wisp