[Northkeep] Greetings To all

facon at cox.net facon at cox.net
Thu Oct 20 18:25:27 PDT 2011

Good Evening Northkeep,

We felt it was important to address some of the current misconceptions
that are still surrounding the current fighter practice.  After fielding
questions from individuals from both within and outside our fine Barony
as well as reading some entries on the internet, it has become evident
that there are those that still believe that our fighter practice has
become a closed event and that it is spreading across the northern
region.

It has also been stated that there seem to be conflicting stories
regarding the changes that where made to the practice.  The fact is that
there were several issues that needed to be addressed to ensure our
continued use of the facility, so it is very possible that you may hear
more than one reason because there was more than one reason.  We have
met with representative of the VFW, the individual who holds the
contract with the VFW, the seneschal, deputy seneschal, knight marshal,
regional knight marshal, and of course ourselves(please forgive if we
have met with anyone).  A long discussion was had regarding the issues
at hand.  We addressed each issue and sought to find solutions that
would benefit the Barony as a whole.  These guidelines have been posted
on the list, and will be published in the Saga.  We shall take this
opportunity to answer some the concerns that have been conveyed.

So let us start by stating for the record that fighter practice is NOT a
closed practice, others ARE welcome and encouraged to come.  There have
simply been some rules established regarding how the practice will be
run.  The site we use has the two large adjoining rooms, the gym floor
room
and a dining room.  We are simply asking that only those that are
directly involved with the fighting be on the gymnasium side for several
safety reasons many involving over crowding and distraction to the
fighters.  Those that are there to directly observe the fighting are
welcome, we are just trying to avoid too many people in the room which
can create unsafe conditions and distract the fighters.

The adjoining room is open and welcome to all those that wish to join
for fellowship, work on projects, or any other SCA related activity that
would be safe and allowed in such and environment.  We in fact wish to
encourage others to come as it is a wonderful opportunity for the Barony
to come together for fun, socialization and learning.

We have also asked that we try to wear garb to practice to create
a more SCA ambiance.  This is not meant to be a deterrent, we are simply
asking that everyone put in their best effort. Those that either do not
have garb or were not able for some reason to have their garb
with them will NOT be asked to leave.  As we said we are trying to
create a welcoming environment, but we also are trying to get back to
the SCA's mission of promoting life in the middle ages.

There have been statements made that we are not creating a welcoming
environment, on the contrary we are trying to create a more welcoming
environment for both our current populace and newcomers by providing a
safe environment for them to come meet members of the populous and see
all the wonderful things this Barony has to offer.

We hope this assists in answering questions some might have, as well as,
quelling any rumors that are spreading across the region.  If you have
any further questions please feel free to contact us and we will be
happy to answer your questions.

Yours in Service,

Facon and Keigan
Baron and Baroness of Northkeep