[Northkeep] the trash pickup

Kevinkeary kevinkeary at aol.com
Fri Oct 7 07:41:07 PDT 2011

Ismet remembered:

Eons ago the Shire of Northkeep wanted to claim a section
f highway for litter clean up.  My lord and I voted against it--not
ecause we didn't think it a worthy cause, but because we were sure it
ould be difficult to find a time when all could get together and work
n it.  And sure enough, some showed up, many didn't and it became a
oint of contention.

Good things came from that, too. The people who gathered in my and Keigan's house for those bi-monthly cleanups were from every extant household, every 'interest group'. They formed the core of the driving force that made the fractured shire of Northkeep into the greatest barony in the north of Ansteorra. I am proud of those days, that effort, and my small part in them.

And it gave us the legend of Mort de Buick. None of us knew Mort, had ever heard of him before we went out and cleaned beside the King's Road. But the evidence of his valiant, doomed struggle against the nefarious Compte de Cadillac were there, scattere over that mile and a half of highway. Little by little, piecing clues together like what the mundanes call forensic scientists, we derived his heroic story. It was beautiful.

I never did finish setting it to verse, and have lost the fragments I had. Ah, well.