[Northkeep] An observation, of a local discussion, I would like others opinions on

Tamara Britton zeurburt2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 20:24:24 PDT 2011

As with any guild meeting, people will come to visit. At A&S, some may come and talk while we work. At dance guild, when we had it at Kieran's, there were people who would just come to watch and hang out. When fighter practice was at Woodward, people would come and visit too. No matter what guild meeting, not every one in attendance would be working. I've even brought my artwork to Scribal Guild but did no work due to just wanting to talk to my friends. What can we say; we're a friendly bunch who get along and like to hang out.

Your totally right: the problem with having other stuff at other guild meetings is space. There is not enough space nor enough table room to spread out as much. Since the VFW is so large, it's the perfect space to do multiple activities.

I totally agree that "Fighting is a very specific activity, that takes a specific type
of location, set of safety rules, and most importantly, mind set of the
individuals. To clutter our space with your...whatever...detracts from what we are there for." This really came in to play last night. When I stopped by, I did notice the crowded space. I realize there is an issue some nights with the "other side" being used by VFW members for a meeting. I think crowding in the fighter's side was a bit overwhelming and I can see how it would distract fighters.

The "other side" can be
considered a "gathering hall" while the fighter's side should be
exclusively for fighters and their families/friends who want to watch. Perhaps we could ask that if the "gathering hall" is in use that those other than fighters and their
families wait outside until the hall is available on that side, or on
those nights like last night, just say that side won't be available until 8pm, so don't
show up earlier unless you are a fighter. We should keep in mind that not everyone is on the list and knows when the VFW meetings are, so it needs to be told to everyone at FP prior to that meeting date.

I realize that the VFW use was acquired by a fighter specifically for FP. However, I think the VFW is a great space for groups other than fighters to gather and visit, play, work on crafts, or eat. So long as everyone pays their "site fee" of cleaning, and stays in the "gathering hall" unless fighting, I see no reason to shut down the other side altogether and leave the VFW only for fighters. It's a shame to waste the space since so many of our friends and families use it. It would sadden me greatly if I couldn't hang out every week at Fighter Practice.

These are just my opinions on the subject, as requested,

Dervilia