[Northkeep] the trash pickup

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 7 08:11:27 PDT 2011

I remember one Saturday picking up trash beside Colin Ui Niall.  Now, Colin is a big guy - athlete big, not beer-belly big, the kind of guy you ask to move heavy loads.  Anyway, we're picking up paper cups and what-not, when he suddenly fell to his knees and went very still.  Then his hands darted out and grabbed something.  He got up and came to me with this big, crazy grin on his face and opened his hands to reveal a tiny field mouse, maybe an inch long.  He gave me a short info session on what kind of mouse it was (biology is his field), and how hawks have eyes so keen they could see a teensy little thing like that from a hundred feet up.  The mouse was very cooperative and washed its paws during the lecture, totally unconcerned that it was in the hands of a giant.  Maybe it figured that as long as Colin was holding it, it didn't have to worry about hawks.

Talana