[Northkeep] question on legality

Kevinkeary kevinkeary at aol.com
Fri Oct 7 10:16:19 PDT 2011

I can add that in searching kingdom law and the participant's handbook, I have found nothing that requires a barony to hold an official practice of any stripe, or that said practice must be open to all comers to be sanctioned. It is required that if there is such a practice, a marshal of the appropriate type, not necessarily the baronial officer, be in attendance.

On the other hand Corpora II Events contains:
B. Requirements for Participants at Society events
Anyone may attend Society events provided he or she wears an attempt at pre-17th century clothing,
conforms to the provisions in Corpora, and complies with any other requirements (such as site fees or
waivers) which may be imposed. At business meetings and informal classes, the requirement to wear pre-17th
century dress may be waived. All participants are expected to behave as ladies or gentlemen.

The 'site fee' for fighter practice has been declared to be janitorial service. That's pretty reasomable. Nobody has been enforcing the requirement of 'an attempt at pre-17th century clothing' consistently either. We must consider this a 'business meeting or informal class'. And this concerns attendance, not specific activities. The person in charge presumably is responsible for determining what is allowed.

The 'site fee' for fighter practice has been declared to be janitorial service. That's pretty reasomable. Nobody has been enforcing the requirement of 'an attempt at pre-17th century clothing' consistently either. We must consider this a 'business meeting or informal class'. And this concerns attendance, not specific activities. The person in charge presumably is responsible for determining what is allowed.

The previous section tells us what qualifies as a 'Society event':
A. Society Events Defined
The term “Society event” ...also refers to ... meetings where participants share skills ... . All Society events must be sponsored by branches of the Society, registered with the Seneschal of the sponsoring branch, publicized at least to the members of that branch, and conducted according to Society rules.

Fighter practice as it has functioned up until now qualifies.

The person in charge of the event is defined in section D.
D. Individuals in Charge of Events
Each Society event must have one Society member appointed by the sponsoring branch in attendance and
responsible for the general conduct of the event. Where an event involves only one type of Society activity,
the responsible member is the appropriate branch officer, or someone designated by that officer (usually
called an Autocrat or Event Steward). Where an event includes a variety of activities, the responsible member
is the branch Seneschal or someone designated by the branch Seneschal (usually called an Autocrat or Event
Steward). Events including Society combat or combat-related activities must have at least one warranted
marshal, designated by the Marshal of the sponsoring branch, in attendance and responsible for those
activities.

I quoted it in full to avoid appearance of editing it. If heavy fighting were the only activity present, the knight marshal would be in charge. As it has been functioning, the seneschal is. Either can designate someone else to be in charge instead.

Section E is too long to copy here. It outlines how to handle people that don't follow the rules. Look it up yourself if you want to see it. Then you can decide whether the rules have been followed. I reiterate my intention to follow the letter of the standing pronouncement.

Kevin