[Northkeep] Fw: Fighter Practice Guidelines

Kevinkeary kevinkeary at aol.com
Tue Oct 18 14:19:16 PDT 2011

Something occurs to me I'd like to run by the parties with decision-making power here.

The right side of the building is reserved for the heavy (specifically) fighters, as it is the most appropriate for fighting (of any stripe), and as the building was originally obtained for their use.

On the first Tuesday of the month, the left side of the building, which is otherwise open for any and all 'period or SCA-related' activities OTHER THAN heavy fighting, is used by the owners of the building and not available for our use, but still must be cleaned by us (specifically those of us who are not heavy fighters) as part of the arrangement originally made by and for the heavy fighters.

In times past, as during Gulf War for instance, or the week before crown tourney when the fighters are wanting to NOT wear themselves out or risk injury, fighter practice has been canceled, BUT the building still had to be cleaned as part of that same agreement.

No judgement there, those are all bare facts.

Would it be possible for the building, perhaps the whole of it, to be open on nights that heavy fighter practice is canceled, for use by some of the other interests that currently NEVER get to use it, court dancers or bards or musicians, as quick examples off the top of my head. Allowing for the fact that if it's the first Tuesday it would only be the right half of the building, and that someone the owners and the heavy fighters found acceptable would have to have charge of the keys, and possibly other considerations.

This would not spoil the atmosphere, ambiance or "mind set", would not "detract from (anyone's) fighter practice", because no fighter practice would be going on. And it WOULD create a higher attendance to fuel the cleaning that has to be done that night whether the building is used or not.

Maybe there are reasons this won't work. But I'd like it considered, by those who have the power and right to do so.

Kevin