[Northkeep] Question about the Saga and a suggestion

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner BurgBorrendohl at valornet.com
Fri Oct 21 09:20:56 PDT 2011

On 10/21/2011 8:45 AM, Marc Carlson wrote:
> g.   Filling out the $#%# paperwork is a drag.
This is one of the main reasons I had a hard time when I was chronicler
and it has actually gotten more $#%# from what I hear.  I would have
some pictures from a NK event and/or photo opportunity and finding
people who had moved or were no longer active to fill out the paperwork
was a pain.

As a Chronicler I got copies of other groups' newsletters and was also
impressed by the number of articles that were submitted.  However, to be
fair, many of those articles were submitted by the same prolific writer
(probably a close friend or family member :-) of the chronicler) or just
someone who had a lot of knowledge to impart.  On the Chronicler's list
it was a constant complaint that they couldn't get their groups to
submit even officer's reports.  I must take a moment to thank Honorable
Lady Debroa for consistently providing sheep articles.

I like the idea of a newsletter for a group, but in all honesty, I
wonder if it has surpassed it's usefulness.  In today's world of the
internet wiki pages and Facebook (and whatever else is out there that I
don't know about--still living in the email stages here), information is
more quickly dispersed on the world wide web.  People would post
wonderful stories about Gulf War happenings, or an event they attended
on NK list and I would constantly beg them to let me publish it in the
Saga instead next time.  But it rarely happened.  I started a series of
posting persona stories, but soon that was also done in a slightly
shortened version on the NK page Zubedah set up (please, this is not a
complaint against Zubedah--I loved her pages).  I found myself trolling
other lists and begging interesting stories from people who posted.  My
husband's squire brother, for example, was a very amusing story teller
and I included several of his.

As Marc has pointed out this has been a problem for a long time.  When
we used to subscribe to the Saga with payment the first time I was
Chronicler, I approached a member (no longer active) to ask if they
wanted a subscription.  She told me, "I don't subscribe to the Saga
because there's never anything in it worth reading."  Well, that hurt my
feelings, but it shouldn't have.  After all, if there's nothing in it,
it's because no one is submitting anything, it's not the Chronicler's fault.

And from a previous suggestion, I was assured by the Northern Regional
Chronicler that recipes could not be copy-write protected.   Of course,
that was several years ago, I don't know what the current party line is now.

Another suggestion: Teachers, when you make your handouts for your
classes, give one to the Chronicler to publish.  It's already written.
I can't tell you the number of times I wanted to take a class, had a
time conflict and would have appreciate the handout.  And the Chronicler
is advised to take forms with her/him to events like Winterkingdom.
Approach visiting teachers and ask permission to print their class
handouts. /Most/ are flattered.

Sorry if I'm long winded again...but a subject dear to my heart.

Disclaimer:  Nothing said here was intended to offend or accuse anyone
and if it was taken that way, please forgive me,

Ismet