[Northkeep] Important Days in history

Chuck Kaun jack_a_lope31 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 27 07:23:54 PDT 2011

Actually, Harald Godwinson did not leave London until the morning of Oct 12th.  The battle of Hastings did not occur until the 13th of October.  William sailed from Normandy on 9/27 and did not arrive until 9/28 after losing some of his army and ships in a storm.  He was unopposed in southern England for over 2 weeks.

On a side note, Harald was able to move his army from London to the Battle of Stamford (185 miles) in just 4 days.

The battlefield of Hastings was about 53 miles from London.  Haralds army was believed to have ridden to the site and fought dismounted as infantry.

Karl T