[Northkeep] ot- sort of- sewing

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 19 06:20:54 PST 2012

Google up the info on the Viking C-20.  It is possible that a machine can be butch enough to sew leather but not webbing.  Webbing is a bear to sew because it is generally made of monofilament threads, plied up into what are essentially cables, which are then woven in a manner that produces something similarly heavy as card-woven bands.  Try pushing a leatherworking awl through it - it's not easy.  Industrial machines can hack it, but your C-20 might not.

Leather, sometimes even weights heavier than glove-garment-upholstery, can be sewn on many non-industrial machines because leather is a matrix of protein fibers that can be pierced through or cut with relative ease, especially with a leather needle.  So, while your machine isn't up to webbing, you may find it will stitch leather.

Talana