[Northkeep] Request for Byzantine Info

Michael Coone felemid.macphail at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 18:30:34 PST 2012

Byzantines doctors where both male and females that study at university .
... and hospitals where both a military staple and place for common folk to
die peacefully ... there where civil building in major cities by 10th
century .... smaller towns used chapels or temple to serve as hospitals in
times of need till money was raised and Doctors where granted hospital and
land to run ... they in turn would contract the rest of staff .....
Doctors where known for ability to heal there for respected as much as
lords and clergy  ..... in 500s one of the first medical text was ordered
by emperors daughter ... and by the 8 or 9th century hospitals had become a
standard in most towns ....

Byzantine Medicine was entirely based around Hospitals or walk-in
> dispensaries which formed part of the Hospital complex, there was a
> dedicated hierarchy including the Chief Physician (*archiatroi*),
> professional nurses (*hypourgoi*) and the orderlies (*hyperetai*).

anyone that could afford to study at university could become a Doctor ...
and they did not keep females from learning this trade ... so anyone with
money or title to get into the school could become a Doctors and a lot of
the second born males .... or female children of lords had the choice
church or school ... so good odds that a lot of the Doctors where of noble
blood .... i would offer more help then that but ....i have limited
knowledge .... i grabbed a quote from online when i check to make sure i
had times right ...