[Northkeep] Did you know where these expressions came from?

Jerry Herring j.t.herring at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 13 09:47:16 PST 2012

That went much nicer than I was expecting.Not to imply that Master Dunn is not
nice or that he could even be unpleasant.

If you will picture the good master ensconced in the stony tower of his library
with its vaults and undercofts filled with a vast store of knowledge captured in
printed form. This bastion of hope for education is centered upon the majestic
campus of the university. There in the high chambers of the tower you find the
master looking up from his careful study of some aged tomb in his tweed and
glasses. When he speaks there is a slightly perturbed tone as he admonishes
mostly for the sake of educating and the perturbation is less addressed to the
unwitting individual and more towards the over all state of society leading to
this situation. With a harrumph the master returns to the tome and relishes in
unlocking some new literary factum or a primary source for future research.
Forgive the detailed description but that is how I pictured the scene and the
mental imagery only added to the humor.

In my own way from time to time I have touched off the powder on this particular
keg which is mostly why I took humor in it. Hopefully my humor offers no offense
to either party. May you both enjoy the day in your own special way and find
some comfort in the fact that you allowed some of us to get a chuckle out of
your discourse.

Kindly
Ian