[Northkeep] Did you know where these expressions came from?

Michael Coone felemid.macphail at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 16:30:16 PST 2012

i thought this thread was to be funny ... and no bard has ever told the
exact truth ... because more times then not the truth is boring ... when
tracing the origin of words and sayings gets really hard when for better
part of the last 2000 years only a select few could read or write ... as
well as when you toss in translations ... the problem with this is we are
talking about a long time ago  .. and meaning of words change ... as well
as there are limits of what was written down ... there are a ton of songs
stories and BS that never get written down ... and unless you are where
there .....who is to know the real saying of the times ,.,, with slang
today ...less then half end up in modern literature and almost no slang
makes it into history records that just stories from the victors ....
painted in what ever light they think they can get away with ... "close but
no cigar" made famous in US with new paper headline had been used by ring
bell game in the buffalo bill wild west show ... if not for a flyer that
survived .. over 40 odd years before ...as the show went all over the US
and in 100 years unless a "wheres the bee"f t-shirt survives there will be
stories that sound good where it came from .. you can spend hours pointing
to this written reference or that ... but truth be known... unless you
where there .... there is little that can be said about sayings of the
times... and piss poor may not had been used .....exactly ......but i am
sure as long as there is money...... there has been a saying like it ....
same goes for all the rest ... in the 1200s the word we now use for  and
know as "girl" used to refer to any child under 5 ... this was done for 2
reasons ... first is children died .....so the word girl used to mean
weaker child .. meaning more likely to die ... had nothing to do with
gender but constitution of the child .... the other reason was their faith
... they feared if they showed that the child was male in gender before was
strong enough.... the evil spirits would be more likely to take the child
away .. there is very little to support this claim .....but there is one
book ... by the cathlic church talking about the strange things about
children by the group in the area around what is now Germany .... does it
make it right... who knows ... it could have been one area or town that did
this ..but there are others that swear all of the tribes did this because
one notebook ...

after 15 years of sitting by a river under a tree ..looking for
enlightenment.... a simple bard floated by and changed Budda world ... not
but arguing with Budda but by teaching his apprentice ... the bard said ...
if a string is to tight it makes sore note and if it too loose it make a
flat note ... at that time Budda got up and started his way to balance ....
he went on to write 1000s of letters and ideas ... the one things is he
never stopped looking ... and learning ....

many times the best answers come from someone else not trying to change our
mind but a person doing what is right .... and fighting over something that
was never claimed to be true .... and could be wrong .....almost never ends
up with lets be friend ...

here is one more .....i do not know how old it is ....  and don't really
care ... but it works

momma said if you can not say something nice  ... keep it to yourself ....

Felemid MacPhail
MKA Mike Coone