[Northkeep] [!! SPAM] Re: Did you know where these expressions came from?

Shirley Hackworth slhack at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 13 20:36:04 PST 2012

No offense taken.

Cicily

-----Original Message-----
From: northkeep-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org
[mailto:northkeep-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Hugh & Belinda
Niewoehner
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 6:17 PM
To: a a; Barony of Northkeep Mailing List
Subject: [!! SPAM] Re: [Northkeep] Did you know where these expressions came
from?

I apologize to the lady if I caused offense in responding.  Though I
certainly do not qualify as one of the "more educated",  I felt she was
actually trying to stir up some commentary on the subject.  I've seen
these type of things come through occasionally and have found them
entertaining, but never considered them anything but fun.  It shows some
creativity in coming up with these so called explanations (some of which
may be partially rooted in history, I have no idea).  My husband and I
enjoyed going though them and guessing which ones might actually have
some element of truth in them.  The brass monkey was just the one I
thought could be verified fairly easily one way or another.  I put in my
defense a perhaps misinterpreted quote from Lady Cicily:

Okay, I didn't check the historical accuracy of all of these (and many of
them are out of period), so I'm sure some of you more educated/  _people
will
correct them_/, but I did find these kind of cute.

Ismet

On 2/13/2012 5:30 PM, a a wrote:
> Oh,CHILL OUT! Lady Cicily admitted in her original post that she didn't
know if any of them were true;which says to me that she trusts our
intelligence and judgement and that if we're interested we can do our own
research on the subject. Meanwhile,I submit that while her knowledge of
history may or may not be lacking, YOU could learn a lot from HER about
chivalry and grace.