[Northkeep] revel?

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Thu Jan 19 10:45:31 PST 2012

greetings

too bad nrfp is on Sunday , an after revel would have been nice.
any revel can be nice, sipping spiced mead ( or hot chocolate ) around a
fireplace or fire pit , talking with friends, old and new, and meeting new
people, telling " no ship, there I was, or one time when Inman was king
stories , etc, ( well now days all the stories would probably be one time at
gulf wars , but that's ok too ; )
its the face to face communication, no phone calls, no texts,no video games,
just people talking and enjoying each others company .
a place and time to practice our manners as well ( milord, milady ) ( would
you like a seat milady ) or even ( I cant stand that person , but .... I'm
here .... I WILL BE POLITE )
( no I'm not pointing fingers at anyone , from time to time I have seen some
really rude behavior at events, and thought a reminder might be in order ,
so that northkeepers may never  be the ones setting that example for
newbie's  )
Fridays or Saturdays are usually best for revels, so that people don't have
to be up 1st thing in the morning.
but some times holidays offer up an extra day off of work, making Sunday
night perfect for a revel
and then there is the oft over looked " mini revel " which can happen during
the week ,and may be themed ,  example :  Norse revel ,( come in your best
Norse garb ( yes that includes the bed sheet t- tunic and sweat pants( early
Norse ; )) , revel starts at 6pm, and ends at 10pm, all welcome , bring
munchies and drink to share...... these work because they are early enough
people can still get home in time to go to work / school next day,they give
newbie's something to go to in order to see that type of garb on a real
person,and again , its a social gathering wear kids are welcome, and
newbie's can meet and get to know people.
possible themes aren't limited to clothing, you could do a food revel with
everyone bringing a themed dish, or drinks, etc.( French food , German food,
Gaelic food etc ). also there used to be an annual revel sometime around
Halloween, ( but would probably work on / near all fools day as well,
especially if the pranks were frowned upon (
http://www.novareinna.com/festive/allfool.html ) ( don't want to scare off
the newbie's )
ok, call me old fashioned, but for me it seems that earlier revels with no
alcohol are better for families with children, and later revels with alcohol
are better suited for adults only .
but yes , I think a revel a month at different places would be a great way
to get back to people knowing and helping each other in the barony

but I must add that if you bring children to revels, you must be responsible
for their actions, be they good or bad .
if they are well mannered and behaved, it reflects well on both them and
you.
if they are screaming , breaking things, and trying to be the center of
everyone's attention, they reflect badly on themselves, ( unless that's
their bardic entry ) and how you handle the problem can affect peoples
perception of you and your child.
just a thought, but most of northkeeps children are pretty well behaved as
far as I have seen ( ok , I'm not everywhere, the moc could probably say it
better , but some of northkeeps children are always outstanding , filling in
for adults, taking responsibility, leading the other children by example,
( even those children older than they are ) and are very hard workers )
SIDE NOTE :
( are people watching and making award recs for both the children and the
adults of northkeep ??? )

anyway I gotta head for work
Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur