[Northkeep] bleach splatter

Rebecca Minton rebeccaj_bragg at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 15:02:32 PDT 2012

I would try touching up the spots with fabric markers or even sharpies before I went for the bleaching the whole tunic option. Bleach can rot the fabric, or make it so fragile it tears like tissue. If you're not sure of the fabric's content, then try touching up the color with markers or even paint pens (they can be diluted and mixed to get the right color). Test them on the inside of the garment on the backside of the bleach spots. I have had horrible experiences with bleaching and redyeing, and I would only use that as a last resort when you've basically decided the garment can't be fixed at all and you've accepted that you may have to throw it away. I'd suggest trying anything you can to cover up the spots, either with the markers, spot dyes, or maybe it could be saved by adding an embroidered or heraldic design to it. If that isn't really an option, you might consider dyeing the whole garment a darker color, and skipping the bleach step. I think the
 tunic was light blue? Maybe you could try a darker blue or even navy, and then if the bleach spots didn't absorb the dye at the same intensity it would still be easy to touch them up with the fabric markers and not have to match a pastel color. I'm not saying that bleaching the whole tunic will definitely destroy it, some people have great luck with it. But if you're in any way unsure of the fabric content, then err on the side of caution and pass on the bleach all together. Either way, before you add any new dyes or bleach to the tunic, make sure to wash it in hot water (if possible) and do not use any fabric softeners. They repel liquids to some extent, and you'll want to make sure you get uniform coverage with whichever method you choose. I hope it comes out okay, and have my fingers crossed for you.
     Rebecca
AKA Jacqueline Di Vitri