[Northkeep] Castle

Lee McGoodwin ladyetienett at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 17 16:47:05 PDT 2013

Well said, and wise words.

Etienett

________________________________
 From: Chuck Kaun <jack_a_lope31 at hotmail.com>
To: "northkeep at lists.ansteorra.org" <northkeep at lists.ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Northkeep] Castle

Actually having a demo by itself is not a bad thing.  However, if you were to have a demo anywhere near the Muskogee ren faire, you are creating an unfair (excuse the pun) competition by offering something for free versus something you pay for.  A similar situation would be to offer free baked goods next to a girl scout cookie sale.

I am told that the owner of the fair is a very unpleasant person and even if a lawsuit was not feasible for him to win, he could still attempt it.  Even if it was thrown out, it would still create problems and ill will.

The owner himself is not the only one you are affecting.  By having a free demo near a ren faire, you a creating a potential for  taking people who may have gone to the faire.  While gate fees seem large, the majority of the money spent in a ren faire is at the shops and attractions that are in the park.  These shopkeepers rely on this money to support themselves and their families.  And these performers and shopkeepers go to different faires.

Now, I am not trying to be a dick and shutting people down for what is actually a very good idea.  I am also not saying that there is a good chance that we would actually affect sales or money flow.

HOWEVER, I am saying that perceptions are often the key and it would be uncool to create a competition with another group who is a profit based orgainzation.  Have the demo AFTER the Ren faire when perceptions of how cool the ren faire was are still high in peoples minds.

Karl