[Northkeep] A question about the evolution of the British countryside

Susan O'Neal catmafia03 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 11:16:59 PST 2013

To start off I'll admit I've been watching Midsomer Murders and am a
great fan of Agatha Christie and they are a great deal of where my
knowledge comes from, in addition ot many British mysteries and
dramas.

What I'm wanting to know is to understand how the British countryside
evolved from the Medieval time frame into the way it was in the early
20th Century and now.  How did the land ownership evolve?  What were
the relations between those in the villages and those in the near
countryside?  At what point did you start having large landowners
other than the Lord of the area?  How did that transition happen?
When did things like Council Houses happen and how did that work.

Answers to these and general discussion would be lovely as would a
book that discusses the evolution.

Thanks so much,
Susan the Curious