[Northkeep] Great Gauntlet Weekend

Andrew Lechner littlerukh at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 12:37:53 PST 2013

War is approaching and that means its time for another weekend of making gauntlets

What it is:I'll be opening up JP's shop (he'll be wearing a fancy hat at Kingdom A&S) for a special session of gauntlet making. We will be making our spring-steel clam-shell style in either mild or stainless steel.

When: February 7th, 8th, and 9th Shop will open Friday afternoon. Shop will be open from 9am- 11pm Saturday and Sunday.

What you need to do before coming: Let me know you want to come and when. I can handle about 6 people working in the shop at a time. If you just need to make repairs, you can jump in but gauntlet people will get precedence.

What you need to bring:
1. Yourself, ready to work. It takes approximately 10-12 working hours to finish depending on skill (and endurance).
2. Cash. If you want to use shop metal it's $25 dollars. If you just need tools and the forge it's $10
3. A pair of comfy leather gloves to sew into the gauntlets.
4. Padding to put between the gauntlets and the gloves. JP likes to cut oven mitts in half, others like to use mouse pads.
5. Your favorite drink. Pounding metal is hard work and you build up quite a thirst.

Things you may need to bring:
1. 2 square ft of RA410 stainless steel. The 0.029" thickness is fine. If you want stainless steel gauntlets, you’ll need to bring your own metal. It’s only $15 and you can buy it online at
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-stainless-steel-sheets/=l6y391
2. Leather for the cuffs. If you don’t want to be limited to my selection or can get it cheaper you can bring your own hide. You’ll need an approximately 18”x 10” piece.
3. Cookies, cause I loves them so.

~Ludewicus von Lichtenstein “Ludo”

P.S. In case you've missed the shop rules and guidelines

A few handy shop tips:

Bring cash: As always we appreciate it when people can contribute to the shop
funds. This allows us to keep things like rivets, polish, tape and other things
in stock. JP and I try to keep all the necessary materials for armor on hand. We
offer it to the populace at cost. Sometimes we like to get pizza if you don’t want to
be left out bring a few bucks to chip in.

Dress to work: We have things on fire and power tools. Close toed shoes are
highly recommended. We have gloves, safety glasses and earplugs to loan.

Help save our tools and you. If you don’t know how to use a tool, ask. We’ll be
glad to show you how to use the tool. If you just don’t feel comfortable using a
tool let us know and we’ll work around it.

It doesn't have to go home but it can’t stay here. All personal items including
works in progress have to go home with you at the end of the night. No
exceptions.

Clean as you go: We normally have a full house and work space is a premium.
Please try and keep the work areas free of clutter. If you leave before final
clean up please make sure you clean up all your tools and supplies before you
leave.