[Northkeep] Cheese Goo?

Melissa Long Blevins hlecalais at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 23 14:56:21 PST 2013

I replied privately, LOL!
Hugs,
Elisabeth

________________________________
 From: Stephanie Drake <cerdanya at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: [Northkeep] Cheese Goo?

I found this in the Florilegeum (spelled wrong I'm sure.)  I know it's
similar to what HE Elizabeth de Calais uses.

Mercedes

==> Savoury Tosted or Melted Cheese

[original recipe found in] Digby p. 228/177

Cut pieces of quick, fat, rich, well tasted cheese, (as the best of Brye,

Cheshire,& c. or sharp thick Cream-Cheese) into a dish of thick beaten

melted Butter, that hath served for Sparages or the like, or pease, or

other boiled Sallet, or ragout of meat, or gravy of Mutton: and, if you

will, Chop some of the Asparages among it, or slices of Gambon of Bacon, or

fresh-collops, or Onions, or Sibboulets, or Anchovis, and set all this to

melt upon a Chafing-dish of Coals, and stir all well together, to

Incorporate them; and when all is of an equal consistence, strew some gross

White-Pepper on it, and eat it with tosts or crusts of White-bread. You may

scorch it at the top with a hot Fire-Shovel.

[redaction by David Friedman and Elizabeth Cook]

1/2 lb butter

1/2 lb cream cheese

1/8 lb Brie or other strongly flavored cheese

1/4 t white pepper

Melt the butter. Cut up the cheese and stir it into the butter over low

heat. You will probably want to use a whisk to blend the two together and

keep the sauce from separating (which it is very much inclined to do). When

you have a uniform, creamy sauce you are done. You may serve it over
asparagus or other vegetables, or over toast; if you want to brown the top,
put it under the broiling unit in your stove for a minute or so. Experiment
with some of the

variations suggested in the original.

[Clarissa's Notes: I use brie cheese but I cut off the rine. Its easier to

do if the cheese is still cold. Medium heat or better is needed and you

must stir CONSTANTLY or it will stick and burn (and never meld too). Use a

whip to stir. A heavy pan like a cast iron dutch oven is a good idea. If

its mixed really well, it will not separate as much as if its just mixed a

little. This is a very rich sauce. I would say that this serves 8 people as

part of several removes as an appetizer or over vegetables . It serves 4 if

its the single main dish for dinner.]

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Shanna Ward <camberbabe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would someone please email me the recipe for cheese goo?  My work is having
> a food/snack day this week & I'd really like to get my coworkers hooked on
> goo.... mwuahahahaaa *evil laugh*
>
> Shanna

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too
dark to read.
Groucho Marx