[Northkeep] Timeline for Baronial candidates

Jerry Herring jherring68 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 10:43:14 PST 2013

Greetings Northkeep,
So here is us having another Baronial investiture honoring the traditions as
best we can while abiding the decisions of the crown, because that is a part
of the game we play. Though we do love the SCA dearly there are times that
things happen for each of us which rub us the wrong way; some need to vent,
some stew, and some are not so bothered. I suggest we take whatever
disappointment some may feel and turn it around making something as positive
as we can from it. I am sure that there are reasons for some of the short
spots in the schedule but it is no shorter or longer than has been
prescribed in the past. This is not to dismiss or dissuade people's emotions
or opinions everyone has a right to express themselves. What I would offer
is a way to make this transition positive for Northkeep.

This process should be made as painless as possible because there are
several of us in the Barony who know the stress and unnecessary hurt that
such events can cause. Northkeep should revel in this event honoring Facon
and Keighan for their service and celebrating the rise of someone new. An
investiture marks a time of great change for Northkeep. With all change
there is bound to be some stress but we can do our best to make the most of
situation and the least of the stresses. The choices in that regard are
ours.

To address Damon's concerns there is nothing that says that the candidates
cannot make themselves known to the populace of Northkeep before the
appointed deadline. If the Crown and their representatives approved the
candidates could announce themselves here on this list, in Saga newsletter,
and at a populace meeting.  Such options would give those who make
themselves known early plenty of time to be available for questions and
conversation with the populace.

As for the concerns over the schedule we could use those as elements for
play...

What court intrigue has caused our dear Baron and Baroness to announce their
abdication? How noble of Their Royal Majesties to call the people of
Northkeep into their presence and take time from their busy tournament
season to seek worthy successors? I hear that on the way to war our dear
King Jean Paul II might have been struck a blow which may prove mortal.
Though he remains stalwart and would boldly fight on for Ansteorra. Rumors
circulate that His Majesty may not be long for the throne and that his heir
the valiant Prince Lochlan is already rising to the challenge. Perhaps it is
the war and possible impending inheritance that plays havoc? Perhaps these
and other intrigues lend to the details of this our own game of thrones.

Kindly
Ian