[Northkeep] Comic Con Tulsa

afeodorvna afeodorvna at att.net
Wed Aug 13 11:18:07 PDT 2014

I'm a complete outsider having not attended any of your events in a VERY long time. For what it's worth my two cents. Now not knowing the lay out of the area since it was in the late 1980's that I was in the area is it possible to hold a "minor" event in a visible area outside of the convention that we as SCA have control of making it all the pomp and circumstance that we would do at any event. I realize certain aspects may not be feasible such as archery or thrown weapons or for that matter equestrian but we could still display such items.
Thats just my thoughts
HE Anastasiya

I, for one, am grateful for your work for this endeavor.  I totally agree
that recruitment is important and completely necessary if we are to
continue in our hobby.

Will you be attending Fighter Practice this evening?  If so, Jutte and I
would love to visit with you about the opportunity.  Again, we have very
little understanding of conventions as we've not participated in them.

Do you have any insight into a deadline for a decision?  I'm very
interested in hearing more opinions before making any decision.

HL Adalia

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Jerry Herring <jherring68 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ladies and Gentlemen,
> We have no scope of how far reaching our efforts were toward recruitment.
> Right now we had had one or two people show up in Northkeep from Tokyo in
> Tulsa. And from experience I can tell you that talking to someone now at a
> convention or demo can have effects that do not come into play until years
> later. One example that comes to mind is Rebecca Williams von Groote
> <https://www.facebook.com/rebecca.vongroote?fref=ufi> we did a demo she
> attended years before she was able to find her way to the play with the SCA
> and soon she is to be made a Laurel. Our demo at Tokyo in Tulsa allowed us
> to meet people from cities located places other than Tulsa, our presence in
> this convention could have effects that outlast just the now.
>
> Tokyo in Tulsa was a local convention, so was Okcon back in the day, and
> those smaller cons usually offer not for profit groups options on booths
> and almost always we can negotiate some free passes along with the booth.
> Tulsa Comic Con is a huge major national convention, just like the big one
> in San Diego that gets national publicity every year although likely not so
> much from the one here in Tulsa but it will likely be covered by several
> online geek themed publications.  There is also a chance Northkeep would
> not have to pay more than $200 that is if Mooneschadowe and Namron agree to
> share the booth cost less if other groups decide to join in as well.
>
> My efforts in this regard have only been to cultivate the contacts and
> bring the necessary information to our attention. We have not yet commited
> to do this demo, so if this opportunity is something that the Seneschal and
> their Excellencies choose to pass on then so be it.
>
> Kindly
> Ian

HL Adalia VonderBerg

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are
just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them,
for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will
bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus