No subject

Tue Jun 28 19:03:05 PDT 2022

"Orange"
    1. a. The fruit of a tree (see sense 2), a large globose
    many-celled berry (HESPERIDIUM) with sub-acid juicy
    pulp, enclosed in a tough rind externally of a bright reddish
    yellow (== orange) colour.
    The common variety is variously called the China, coolie, Lisbon,
    Portugal, or sweet o.; the name China orange was especially common
    in 17-18th c. Other varieties or species are known as blood(-red),
    Malta or Maltese o., a red-pulped variety; Jaffa or Joppa o., a
    lemon-shaped and very sweet kind; navel o., a nearly seedless
    variety from Brazil, etc., having the rudiment of a second fruit
    imbedded in its apex; clove (in Ogilvie 1882), noble, or mandarin
    o. == MANDARIN; tangerine o..: see TANGERINE. The fruit of the
    Citrus Bigaradia is called the bitter, horned, or Seville o.; and
    that of the C. Bergamia, bergamot o. or BERGAMOT.

The 14th century references likely refer to the Jaffa or Maltese, I'd guess=
.

"Cherry"
    I. 1.    a. A well-known stone-fruit; the pulpy drupe of certain
    species (or a sub-genus) of Prunus (family Rosace=E6). When used
    without qualification it usually means the fruit of the cultivated
    tree (Prunus Cerasus or Cerasus vulgaris); of this, two forms are
    now also found wild in Britain; the more distinct of these, the
    common Wild Cherry or Gean, is sometimes considered a separate
    species (P. Avium).

So, some sorts of oranges are available at least in England in period, but =
again may not resemble the ones we have today.

m/d