TENT - Tent book coming out this month

Tanya Guptill tguptill at teleport.com
Mon Dec 6 12:30:42 PST 1999

Greetings, fellow tent makers!

I know I have spoken with some of you regarding Dr. Peter
Alford-Andrews, a British professor (teaching in Germany) who has his
doctorate in tent history.  Some of you have seen his last book, Nomad
Tent Types of the Middle East (the two-volumed green cover one which
often travels with me), and if you have, you are already familiar with
the exceptional caliber of his reserach.

He wrote today, to say that his long-awaited next one, Felt Tents and
Pavilions, is going to press this month, and will be availabe shortly.
It is twenty-seven years of research in two volumes, 20 maps, and 1442
pages(no, that's not a typo) and is primarily  "..draws primarily on
historical texts (Mongolian, Persian, Arabic, Turkish) plus the accounts
of early European travellers, backed up by visual material whenever it
was available, especially Persian and Moghul book paintings."  I asked
him specifically if this was going to have quite a bit of yurt
information, and he confirms it does.  For more information, there is
the full quote from him on my page at
http://www.teleport.com/~tguptill/books.htm

I feel kind of odd putting forth a commercial announcement like this, so
just wanted you to know that I am not involved in any part of the book's
sales, and just thought you might be interested.

Mira