TENT - tudor tents.

Tanya Guptill tguptill at teleport.com
Mon Dec 13 07:19:49 PST 1999

Lady Marguerite,

I have to admit that I am really happy someone wading into this discussion with
a note about spoked wheel tents.  They are beautiful, getting more popular, but
I  am not sure that I can  agree with the contention that they are common in
period.  The current wave of spoked wheel tents can almost certainly be traced
back to Master Dafydd ap Gwystl's article on the spoked wheel design, which can
be found athttp://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/sca/tents/kuijt.article/.  He cites an
extant 15th century Burgundian pavilion possibly  in the Bern Museum in
Switzerland.  I have written the museum twice, in hopes of getting some details
on this tent, but have not received a response.    I had the good fortune to
meet Master Dafydd when we were assisting mar-Joshua in teaching the pavilion
class, and to examine his fine pavilion.  John LaTorre also does spoked wheel
designs, but I am not certain what his documentation is (John--do you have
details on that Burgundian tent?)

The written accounts of tent supplies that I have found talk about needing
ropes, saplings, or 'hopes' (hoops).  In the records of the Tournament of
Westminster in 1511, the Royal Pavilioner, Richard Gibson, included accounts of
purchased materials for the event.  There are lists of iron rings and wooden
staves, but after reading through the material it looks like these were used on
those pavilions that were mobile--used in the procession, then placed on the
ground.  The pavilions that were not moved do not list these staves, and only
list a single ring, probably for the peak.  Mistress Barbary Elspeth Ham did a
very nice article about these lists, and I am planning on webbing it in the week
or so after 12th Night (with her gracious permission, of course).

I am also taking the liberty of  including Dr. Peter Alford Andrews in this
email (as well as Master Dafydd and John), to see if he has knowledge of this
type of tent.  I believe his expertise is more toward nomadic tent types, but it
is possible his vast amount of research has turned up information of which we
are unaware.

Mira