TENT - [Fwd: [Fwd: Fwd: al-jisr: Fw: Stand back - the wind's kicking up]]

Garthman42@aol.com Garthman42 at aol.com
Thu Dec 30 07:49:55 PST 1999

Greetings All,
I am a very recent addition to the tent makers guild list, but I must say I
am amazed at the tents you all have planned.  Cherie, 36X14?  Good lord!  I
thought I was way out on a limb with my first ever project in tent making
being a 24X15 Marque tent.  Apparently, I came to the right place.

I just picked up a double needle singer industrial machine and I am eager to
get started, but I am still trying to track down the best materials.  I have
been searching for canvas and thread, and I was wondering if you my fellow
members could critique and advise me on selection.

I have found 10.10 oz/37" natural army duck treated w/ flame, water resistant
finish
$3.75/yd, f.o.b. factory.  I was also looking through a parachute repair
supply catalog for thread.  My questions are these; where are you buying your
canvas/materials; what is a fair price for those materials; can you make a
recommendation for or against any particular materials?

Any help you could give would be appreciated.  I have found I learn some
profound lessons from my mistakes, but its so much less painful to learn from
others.

Yours in Service,
Garth Johnston (SCA  Gabriel Johnstone)