PE - RE: Doing without coolers

Barclay, Peter C. MAJ barclayp at eucom.mil
Wed Dec 6 02:50:45 PST 2000

His Grace, Cariadoc, brings up the subject of doing without coolers...

	My wife and I have both attended classes on that very subject
(taught by Cariadoc's lovely wife) at Pennsic.   It was a GREAT class, and
inspired us to put more effort along those lines.  Sometimes we do well in
our efforts, and sometimes we slack off and go the easier route of coolers.
I highly recommend Cariadoc's information on camping without coolers.  It
was a great class.

	Every encampment is different.  I guess because I have two different
types of coolers, I can do different things.  At long events, I use the nice
Coleman cooler to store long term cold items, and I use the painted chest
cooler for drinks.  For example, at Double Wars, I opened the Coleman cooler
twice a day.  Once in the morning and once in the evening to get out items
to cook.  At the end of the week, 8 days later, the steaks in the bottom
were still frozen.  (I realize that the temperature in Sweden in June is not
like August at Pennsic, but stuff has stayed frozen at Pennsic for 4-5
days.)  Almost no one (at the events) knows I have a modern cooler because
they never see it, even though it is always in plain sight.

The painted cooler chest does not have the high insulative qualities of the
Coleman, and so the ice becomes water.  I don't hassle with changing it out,
but let any drink bottles simply sit in the slightly cooler water.  *I*
don't get bothered by cool (rather than cold) drinks.  In fact, I prefer my
drinks about 45-50 deg F.

I admire Cariadoc and hope to one day measure up to the wonderful level of
authenticity he achieves.  I really do!  Every event I get a little closer.
;-)  For those of us who aren't quite there yet (or don't want to go that
far), I offer the information as hopefully useful.

respectfully,

                     Terafan

Master Rhys Terafan Greydragon           barclayp at eucom.mil
University Chancellor, brewer and probably other things I can't remember...
Seneschal, Incipient Shire of Blauwasser