PE - My quick fire test results

Todric todric at raex.com
Fri Feb 4 06:39:41 PST 2000

At 07:13 AM 02/04/2000 -0600, Cherie Nolan wrote:
>I love it, a man who does scientific testing for us. With good results. The
water proofing only makes it water resistant and the fire retardence only
makes it still
>flammable.

        Just wanted to note that not all waterproofing increases
flammability; I had occasion to do similar tests on commercial materials,
and found that the CFAI-84 fire-retardancy spec is worth looking for when
selecting tent fabric.
        One sample of 10oz I worked with simply refuses to take fire (I used
a torch), even when saturated with wax (like a candle getting knocked into
it), dripping with alcohol (the alcohol burned off leaving the sample
untouched). Sulfuric acid didn't touch it, and boiling it for a half hour in
water did nothing to the waterproofing; water still beads-up on the sample.
        In fact, the final test was to fire a crossbow bolt at it; the shaft
went thru, but it stopped at the fletch. :-)

        Bottom line: If your tent fabric burns at all, take a fire
extinguisher with you.

        Todric OL, OP, GDH

	 SINGING HORSE DESIGNS
   Makers of Yurts, Gers, and other Portable Structures
	http://web.raex.com/~yurts
                ______yurts at raex.com______
	           (330)-678-0011
               P.O. Box 1915    Kent, OH     44240