PE - The use of negative evidence

Stephen Wyley stephenw-hrt at nmit.vic.edu.au
Mon Feb 21 18:21:33 PST 2000

Hi All,

Lady Marguerite wrote;

>  Many pictures depict the use of guy ropes which pull the roof edges tight and round.
>  I have heard more than enough people assume  that side poles were not period.  Bull!
>  Just because you don't have a painting of it doesn't mean they weren't used.  Can we
>  honestly believe that something that simple  just didn't occur to anyone until recently?
>  Have we had some surge of technology that only recently made side poles usable?
>  Of course they were used in roundels among other designs.

Simply, the lack of evidence does not prove nor disprove a theory,
therefore the use of "negative evidence" to support a theory is
essentially flawed.

>From my research side poles appear in the larger pavilions and
marquees of the 16th century.

Bye for now,

Stephen Francis Wyley
stephenw-hrt at nmit.vic.edu.au
Technical Officer
(Plant Tissue Culture, Chemistry and Soil Science)
Conservation and Applied Science Department, NMIT

For "Historical" and "How to" articles by me see;

http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/index.html

or for Arrows made to order;

http://svenskildbiter.webjump.com/order.html