TENT - period camps

Stephan Barratt Cannoneer at compuserve.com
Mon Jan 24 15:38:56 PST 2000

> Jeannette Henderson wrote: >  > Greetings everyone, > I am interested
in making my encampment >as period as possible, but > something that would
span a couple of centuries as my friend's >personas > span the centuries,
and I don't want anything to seem out of place. Did > encampments >undergo
major changes across the centuries. >  > Madeleine Valois

Greetings, My Lady

The answer perhaps needs more information.  Which centuries do you span?
What sort of camp is it, a small hunting camp or a noble's encampment of
the Field of the Cloth of Gold?  Probably the most continuous type of camp
is the Military encampment.  The white A-frame tent is good for hundreds of
years, both within period and long after.  Do you plan to have a period
kitchen with cook fire or just sleeping tents?  How much comfort and
furniture do you prefer to travel with?

I have done period camps from about 1350 to 1600, both pavillions in
Royal camps and a simple square of canvas with 3 corners pegged to the
ground and one corner tied to a tree.  All have their place, but definitely
different purposes.

Don Roderic Hawkyns
East Kingdom

!^NavFont02F03920007IGHHJ934BEF
Steve Barratt
Officer Commanding
Sir Thomas Blackwell's Reg't, 3rd Company
For the King and the Cause!!